Monday, July 19, 2010

Preposterous Propositions II: Real-time Vehicle Monitoring for All?

This is a short edition of Preposterous Propositions, with a simple question - why don't we mandate black boxes in cars, or at the least public transportation/vehicles...or maybe we do and I'm not aware? I'm a little in love with the possibilities (and security) that come with OnStar. In-vehicle monitoring should not be limited to a paid service.

I don't know if I am ready to support real-time monitoring of all vehicles on the road; but I wholly support monitoring of public vehicles and a some sort of accident reporting/recording system for all vehicles. Lives and money would be saved.

With the above comes the inevitable question of privacy, a subject too big to tackle here. Suffice to say, in my opinion the definition of privacy is constantly evolving and, what are rigid boundaries now, will soon turn porous against the wave of digital and social advancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment