Saturday, January 25, 2014

we need help.

Last week I reached out to my first mentor. A step in the journey of more doing. It took a year of thinking that I should, a week of reading how and why and two days of preparation. The conversation took no more than thirty minutes - and the ask alone less than 10 seconds. However, despite the preparation, the reading, the thinking and the honesty, I encountered a something that I hadn't expected and none of the articles mentioned - humility. I hadn't considered that asking for a mentor, was asking for help and asking for help was admitting that I needed help and that I could not grow alone. It seems obvious, no one advances in their career without the support of others, but we rarely (or at least I rarely) acknowledge it consciously. It is a great reminder of the hidden benefit of everyone around us. We're all constantly contributing to one another. And I'm thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment